Saturday, June 21, 2014

Stonington, Maine

Traveled to coast through Belfast then across Penobscot Narrows Bridge.

Penobscot Narrows Bridge
Passed through Bucksport to Route 15 taking me down one of those long fingers that jut out into the Atlantic.  I was on the opposite side of Castine and traveled through Blue Hill which is a nice Maine town.

Finally got to the tip of land then crossed over to Little Deer Isle on a really cool suspension bridge. The sides are too high for cars to see over but it's a great view from a bike.
Deer Isle Bridge
The land bridge from Little Deer Isle to the main island was a meandering rock bordered pathway through the ocean.  It was twisties through the water: very cool!

Traveling to Stonington, my cell phone dropped off my handlebar holder and bounced along the pavement.  I got it back with broken screen and dings.  Augh!!!

My decent into Stonington gave a grand view of the harbor.  There are so many rocks jutting out of the harbor that boats need to navigate around.  Some were large enough that the locals stored their lobster traps on them. I went all along the harbor which has two small inlets filled mostly with lobster boats.  It's clear Stonington has the look (and smell) of a working harbor that hasn't gone touristy.  The people were all about their lives and still a bit curious of outsiders.

Stonington Harbor


I visited a couple stores including a gift shop.  The prices were well below what you would find in Camden or Boothbay.  The main street and walkways are narrow with building blocking good portions of the harbor. That's a trait of a town with working ideals rather than tourist ideals.  The little m/hotel along Main seems to have great harbor views.

I left Stonington very impressed at the beauty and preserved culture. I guess it's just too far off the beaten path (Route 1) so I'd call it a well kept secret of the Maine Coast.

Stonington Town Hall


1 comment:

  1. Maybe Angie and I can join you on a ride this summer

    ReplyDelete